The Commission is appointed by The Bishop to act on behalf of him and the diocesan trustees in relation to all matters concerning the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults within the Diocese of Lancaster. There are 8 Religious Congregations aligned to our Commission.
The primary purpose of the Commission is to promote a culture of safeguarding in all parishes and other apostolic works throughout the diocese and within the work of the 8 Religious Congregations.
The Commission has advisory, supportive and monitoring functions. We are accountable to The Bishop and Provincials of 8 Religious Congregations. We do this by:-
- Advising of safeguarding incidents which are alleged to have occurred within a church environment. Ensuring timely and appropriate responses. Working with relevant statutory agencies as required.
- By listening to and considering the pastoral support of victims and others affected by allegations.
- Developing strategies to promote a safeguarding culture and implement national safeguarding policies and procedures
- Making recommendations to manage potential risks and by reviewing existing cases
- Advising on progress with work plans, safeguarding strategies – as necessary and by providing an annual report.
Members of the Commission bring a range of knowledge and experience:-
Chairman: Mr Charles Proctor (Local Authority- Children’s’ Services))
- Sr Anne Stewart (Female Religious Orders)
- Fr Chris Cousens (Diocesan Priest )
- Fr David Hogan (Canon Lawyer)
- Dr Jenny Waters (Health)
- Ms Jayne Clarke (Law)
- Fr Liam Finnerty ( Male Religious Orders)
- Mrs Claire McEnery (Police)
Commission Link Persons/Advisors
- Mrs Eileen Campling (Religious Order Advisor)
- Fr Robert Billing (Bishop’s Representative)
Contact: Safeguarding Office, 218 Tulketh Road , Preston, PR2 1ES
Tel:- 01772 728433 email firstname.lastname@example.org