The Safeguarding Commission
The Safeguarding Commission is appointed by The Bishop and has advisory, support and monitoring responsibilities in relation to safeguarding people within the diocese and our aligned religious congregations. The Commission is accountable to The Bishop and The Trustees who hold overall responsibility for safeguarding within the Diocese. The Diocese of Lancaster is committed to following National Catholic Policies & Procedures
The Commission does this by:-
• Maintaining general oversight of the work undertaken by the Safeguarding Office
• Promoting a safeguarding culture and safer environments in parish activities and all apostolic works within the diocese.
• Ensuring timely and appropriate responses to allegations and concerns. Working with statutory agencies as required.
• Ensuring that the voice of complainants, victims and survivors are heard and responded to.
• Making recommendations to manage potential and known risks
• Advising on progress with work plans, safeguarding strategies – as necessary and by providing an annual report.
Members of the Commission are independent and bring a range of professional knowledge and current or recent experience.
Chair Charles Proctor Local Authority-Children’s’ Services
• Anne Stewart SHCJ Female Religious Orders
• Chris Cousens Diocesan Clergy
• Jayne Clarke Law
• Liam Finnerty OCD Male Religious Orders
• Jane Newton Police
• Catherine Walsh Education and Young People
• Susan Greenwood Health and Law
Commission Link Persons/Advisors
• David Hogan Canon Law
• Paul Embery Bishops Link Person /Representative
Chair of Safeguarding Commission c/o Safeguarding Office, The Education Centre, Balmoral Road , Lancaster , LA1 3BT
Tel:- 01524 841190 ext 2056